среда, 29 февраля 2012 г.

Fed: Fiji PM hopeful of return despite coup


AAP General News (Australia)
12-05-2006
Fed: Fiji PM hopeful of return despite coup

CANBERRA, Dec 5 AAP - Fiji Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase said he was hoping to be
able to go to work this morning, despite a blanket presence of troops across Suva.

But he conceded he was more likely to be packing up and returning to his home island
if the coup by military commander Commodore Frank Bainimarama was completed today.

He also was unsure if President Ratu Josefa Iloilo would be able to influence Commodore
Bainimarama to turn back from taking control of the government.

"I think a lot depends on the president. I don't know how effective he is in dealing
with the military," Mr Qarase told ABC radio.

"I am sitting at home and I hope to go to work.

"What happens after that I don't know.

"If the coup is completed, then ... well, I come from one of the small islands. I just
have to pack up and go."

He said he did not expect the army to perpetrate any violence.

"(But) it's a volatile situation where anything can happen," he said.

AAP dep/ks/imc/bwl

KEYWORD: FIJI QARASE

2006 AAP Information Services Pty Limited (AAP) or its Licensors.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий